Saturday 26 March 2016

Reading Challenge - Book that Became a Movie

This was the last book I read in 2015 (so I kind of didn't complete the challenge back then but we have already established how I'm going to do this challenge for the rest of my life).

My book chose for this category was "Paper Towns" by John Green.

Well.

First I want to say that I kind of fell in love with the song in the trailer (Smile by Mikky Ekko) and also one of my friends told me she loved this book so I thought 'why not?' and got it at the bookstore
because I love John Green. Or I love the idea of loving John Green if that even makes sense. Truth to be told, I have read every single book of his and I have only liked one....yes, o-n-e. And that one was also the first book I have ever read from him, called "An Abudance of Katherines".

Things I have to say about Paper Towns: NO, NO, NO.
I just really disliked this book! I felt like Quention was the exact same person as Pudge from Looking for Alaska and Margo was kind of an Alaska 2.0. I felt like half of the book was idiotic ramblings by Quention who was the most egocentric character to have ever existed and thought that just because his friends' lives didn't revolve around MArgo then said friends didn't matter. Like, no. Margo doesn't even care about you!

And then the ending was just wtf??? I don't see MArgo crying, at allllll. Like she ran away from home, she is sleeping at an abbandoned warehouse and then SHE CRIES JUST BECAUSE? No. The only moment I liked was the roadtrip and that's because we could see more of the friends (who were actually pretty cool) and because I think that friendship is what the book was supposed to be about. Not Margo. Or egocentric Quention.

I still got a cute quote out of it though ('cause that seems to be John Green's main strength):

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person."

(11 of 50)

No comments:

Post a Comment